ArtProv gallery to Open “Landscapes Above and Beyond” April 15
Closing Reception: May 21, 5-9pm
ArtProv gallery, a contemporary gallery located in the Jewelry District’s historic Doran Building at 150 Chestnut Street, announced today that it will open its newest exhibit titled “Landscapes Above and Beyond” on April 15, 2015. The show will run through May 22, 2015, with an opening reception during Gallery Night Providence on April 16 from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Additionally, there will be a closing reception on May 21, from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
The artists who will be exhibiting during “Landscapes Above and Beyond” include:
- Jenifer Mumford, a New Englander who lives near the water. The focus of her work are landscapes and seascapes that reveal the constant movement brought on by the changes of light and wind and Earth’s life and death cycles.
- Carolynn U. Baker, who collects maps, charts, and books on all types of cartography. Inspired by these navigational aides, her paintings echo the terrain - fields, roads, bridges, channel markers and water depths - to create a graphic amalgam in which the map transforms from a tool to an artistic expression.
- Pia Peterson, who worked as an inker, calligrapher, illustrator and designer before becoming a painter. Her work illustrates a life of continued experimentation with method, materials and subject; however, she continually returns to the imaginary landscape for its infinite possibilities for abstraction, expression and contemplation.
- Mimo Gordon Riley, whose unusual sense of color ties together diverse subject matters, from yellow skies to orange water lines. Her content, though important, serves as a backdrop for other concerns, like dividing space, enhancing light, and reinventing the obvious.
- Nina Weiss, who is inspired by the vast open spaces and cornfields of the Midwest farmlands. She translates the intensity and power of nature’s rhythm, forms, colors, and light into her paintings, drawing the viewer into a heightened vision of gesture and hue.
In addition to “Landscapes Above and Beyond,” ArtProv gallery’s “Ceramic Inspirations” show, which opened in March, will continue to run through May 22, 2015, as well. “Ceramic Inspirations” features the works of Suzanne Hill, Linda Huey, and Jan Jacque. ArtProv gallery is open Wednesday- Friday 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., every Gallery Night Providence and for weekend and evening appointments.